Are you a migrant or refugee living in or recently arrived in Trinidad and Tobago?

The information below contains services and opportunities for you in Trinidad and Tobago

Participating Agencies

The Living Water Community (LWC) is a Catholic Lay Ecclesial Community and regional non-
governmental organization (NGO) headquartered in Trinidad and Tobago that was established in
1975. Living Water Community also has established missions in St. Lucia, Saba and Barbados.


We serve all persons equally without distinguishing race, gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity,
sexual orientation, age, disability, socioeconomic status, or marital status.


The following information was created for use by locals in Trinidad and Tobago,
by the Ministry for Integral Human Development.


You can reach Ministry for Integral Human Development at

For General Enquiries, you can contact the Toll Free Hotline (Monday-Friday 8:00AM – 4:00PM) via +1 868 866 0025

For Urgent Matters, please contact Living Water Community via phone/text/WhatsApp at +1 868 279 4422 or +1 868 296 3562

Democracy International

TDemocracy International (DI) supports active citizens, responsive governments, and engaged civil society and political organizations to achieve a more peaceful, democratic world. To do this, Democracy International works in four core practice areas: Politics, Governance, Peace & Resilience, and Learning. In Trinidad and Tobago, DI is working alongside the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and local civil society organizations to implement the Community Resilience Initiative (CRI).

Through the Community Resilience Initiative, USAID and DI are collaborating with local civil society organizations to strengthen and coordinate social services delivery to Venezuelan migrants and refugees as well as host communities. This will be achieved primarily through a network of resource centers that provide local communities access to information, language classes, psychosocial support, and other critical services. These resource centers also provide a safe space for activities conducive to building connections and trust between members of the local communities and Venezuelan migrants and refugees, while also helping Venezuelan migrants and refugees navigate various systems to improve their current situation.

You can contact DI at

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is the UN’s agency which focuses on the protection of refugees, forcibly displaced people and stateless people. UNHCR aims to ensure that everyone has a right to seek asylum and a safe sanctuary from violence, war or persecution at their home or country of origin.

You can contact UNHCR at

United Nations Children’s Fund

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is the UN’s agency that focuses on providing aid that promotes children’s rights. Its policies include child protection, education, research and analysis, social policies that promote policies and enables universal access to services to guarantee the protection of all children.

United Nations Population Funds

United Nations Population Funds (UNFPA) is the UN’s reproductive and health agency. Its main objectives are to promote universal access to sexual and reproductive health as well as to advocate reproductive rights.

Through advocacy for human rights and gender equality as a way to improve the lives of youth and women. In addition to advocacy, they focus on understanding population trends such as age demographics, growth rates and mortality rates as means to better understand needs of the population and create initiatives to improve the lives of their target population.

You can contact UNFPA at 1 (868) 623-7056

International Organization for Migration

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is an intergovernmental organization that focuses on four core migratory issues: migration and development, regulating migration, facilitating migration and forced migration. IOM strives to ensure cooperation on and assist in finding solutions to migration issues, offering aid to migrants in need and offering humane management of migration.

You can contact IOM at 627-6969

Family Planning Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT)

FPATT is a non-governmental organization started in the 1950s to promote sexual and reproductive health and rights as a way to improve the quality of life of persons and families. Services include, but are not limited to, pap smears, breast examinations, HIV tests and contraceptive services. Additionally, as an implementing partner for UNHCR they also provide and support migrants and refugees with specific needs, assist with accessing local services and provide support for high risk cases.In order to reach more communities, FPATT has implemented a mobile outreach program to service those in the more remote areas of the country. All persons are welcomed to access FPATT services as they do not discriminate based on gender nor sexuality.

You can contact FPATT at

Rape Crisis Society of Trinidad and Tobago

The Rape Crisis Society of Trinidad and Tobago (RCS), is a non-profit, non-governmental agency that started in the 1980s to addresses issues relating to sexual and domestic violence. The organisation advocates for the rights victims of sexual and domestic violence. RCS offers support through free and confidential counselling, hotline support, workshops and public education initiatives.

You can contact RCS at

Families in Action

Families in Action is a non-governmental organization that started in the 1980s to address issues related to alcohol and drug abuse. Today, Families in Action has widened their scope and offer various services such as parenting programs and youth education.

You can contact Families in Action at

The Pan American Development Foundation (PADF)

The Pan American Development Foundation empowers disadvantaged people and communities in Latin America and the Caribbean to achieve sustainable economic and social progress, strengthen their communities and civil society, promote democracy and governance, and prepare for and respond to natural disasters and humanitarian crises.

With these objectives in mind, PADF carries out a wide range of programs that enhance prosperity for millions of vulnerable and excluded people in Latin American and the Caribbean. We do this by engaging community-based groups, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), national and local governments, multilateral organizations, and the private sector in the process of implementing appropriate solutions for sustainable development.

For more than five decades, PADF has helped spur national development partnerships, engage private and public sector resources in regional development, increase family incomes, and promote innovative links between communities and the private sector. PADF’s programs have generated thousands of jobs, saved lives and property, protected vital natural resources, upgraded skills training and medical services, and improved conditions for thousands of disadvantaged Latin American and the Caribbean people.

You can contact PADF at


Trinidad and Tobago can be described as a melting pot of cultures with roots in every corner of the world. Trinidad and Tobago’s roots can be traced to Africa, India, Europe, the Middle East and China. The two dominant ethnic groups in Trinidad and Tobago are those of African and Indian ancestry. Here, you will see a variety of religions being practiced, with Christianity, Hinduism and Islam at the forefront.

We are a vibrant people known for our Carnival, our love of life, great food, and hanging out or liming with friends and family. We believe that every creed and race should have an equal place in our society. As a result, you’ll see multiple festivals being celebrated with the participation of all of the population.


Getting Around

The main forms of transportation are taxis and maxi taxis, more commonly known. Maxi taxis are color banded to indicate the different routes in Trinidad and Tobago.

Taxis in Trinidad and Tobago are marked with number plates starting with H. Sometimes, there are private vehicles, known as PH taxis, that work as taxis but they are not officially considered to be taxis in Trinidad and Tobago. It’s not recommended that you use these for your commute.

Water taxis are alternatives to vehicular modes of transport for the coastal cities of San Fernando and Port of Spain. The water taxi terminal in San Fernando is located at Lady Hailes Avenue, Flat Rock, San Fernando while the water taxi terminal in Port of Spain is located in 1 Wrightson Road, Water Front, Port of Spain Please visit for more information on departure times.

There are 5 bus hubs throughout Trinidad and Tobago that transport persons to various locations throughout the country. Please visit for more information on departure times and locations.

For additional resources and information about Trinidad and Tobago, please visit



The Living Water Community provides basic food hampers for those in need of food assistance. Both the Local and Migrant community can apply to access these hampers at our location on Frederick Street, Port of Spain.

Several parishes offer basic food assistance as well as other welfare such as clothes. Below is a list of such parishes

With an increase in displacement, there has been an apparent need for education assistance. Through the temporary initiative, Equal Place, Living Water Community: Ministry for Integral Human Development along with its partners offers free education to children between the ages of 5 and 17. Education will be provided through two online platforms: Notemaster and Dawere, which will allow children to gain accredited education through the Venezuelan or Caribbean syllabus.

Parents should register their children by contacting 342-6221 in order to access this initiative. Once this application is made, the parent or guardian may be required to undergo an interview to confirm their child’s level of education.


In order to support the safety and wellbeing of children, there are many Child Friendly Spaces
within Trinidad & Tobago that offer educational initiatives, wellness activities, socialization and
much more! The Living Water Community: Ministry for Integral Human Development partners
with UNICEF to create and support eight (8) spaces at present, and there are other local
organizations who also offer the same services.


If you are under the age of 25 and are in need of emotional support or counselling, ChildLine
offers free counselling sessions at 131 or 800-4321. ChildLine advocates for the rights and
protection for all children and young people in Trinidad and Tobago.

Children’s Authority of Trinidad and Tobago

Children’s Authority of Trinidad and Tobago is a government agency that specializes in child protection and advocates for the rights and protection of all. They are the principal reporting authority regarding issues of children protection. They offer care, protection and counselling to children whose protections are at risk. To report instances of child abuse, please call 996 or 800- 2014. You can also email

The Child Welfare League of Trinidad and Tobago

The Child Welfare League of Trinidad and Tobago advocates for the protection and rights and ensures that these rights and protections are guaranteed by the laws of Trinidad and Tobago. They provide public education and various informative programs. They can be contacted at 622-1200 or *Services are not provided in Spanish.

Is There Not A Cause?

Is There Not A Cause? (ITNAC) is an NGO that offers assistance in disaster relief, poverty alleviation and community development. Programming targeted towards migrants include education as well as community outreach and support. They can be contacted at 624-4162.

Drama Making A Difference Company (DMAD)

DMAD is a non-profit organization that provides assistance to the most vulnerable in society through public campaigns and theatrical productions where the proceeds are then donated to charity. In partnership with DI and Living Water Community under CRI, DMAD works with youth using theatre, storytelling and music on a variety of themes. If you are interested, you can contact them at

Ryu Dan Dojo Empowerment Foundation (RDD)

Ryu Dan Dojo Empowerment Foundation (RDD) is a multicultural community- based/non–governmental organization (CBNGO) established seven (7) years ago. RDD was incorporated as a Non-Profit Organization under the Companies Act (1995) in 2013. In collaboration DI, Living Water Community, Families in Action and Drama Making a Difference under the CRI Program. RDD uses its Sports+(Plus) Model which combines martial arts with education, personal development, skills training and entrepreneurship to realize the potential of persons in communities affected by crime, violence and social exclusion. This model is used to develop peer support systems and connect the migrants with their host community. Activities include after-school assistance, ESL/language classes , martial arts , youth social skills enhancement, life skills training and parenting.

If you are interested, you can contact Ryu Dan Dojo at:


In any country that you seek asylum, it is the primary responsibility of the government to provide oversight of this process.

In Trinidad and Tobago, in the absence of refugee legislation, it is the UNHCR under its mandate that adjudicates claims for asylum and maintains oversight for refugees and asylum seekers.. UNHCR is authorized by the government to register and determine asylum applications in Trinidad and Tobago.

If you are at the border or any port of entry (e.g. an airport or seaport) in Trinidad and Tobago, you can claim asylum before an immigration official.

Once registered, you will receive an Asylum Identification Card. Subsequently, you will be contacted by UNHCR to schedule your refugee status determination (RSD) interview whereby UNHCR determines whether to grant your refugee status or reject your application.

*Please note that you must be present in Trinidad and Tobago in order to seek asylum in this country.



To report cases of domestic violence, persons can contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-SAVE(7283).

Gender-Based Violence (GBV) unit

If you are a victim of gender-based violence, you can contact the Gender-Based Violence Unit through their hotline, 999, to report all cases of domestic violence. The Gender-Based Violence Unit was created in early 2020 in response to the prevalence of domestic violence cases in Trinidad and Tobago.

Rape Crisis Society

Rape Crisis Society offers free and confidential counseling sessions in both English and Spanish. Counselling sessions are for survivors of trauma, sexual and domestic violence and those dealing with stress or depression. The services are for women, men, boys and girls.

You can contact Rape Crisis Society at 627-7273


ChildLine is a free confidential 24/7 helpline and listening service for children and young people. To contact ChildLine, please dial 131 or 800-4321.

Rape Crisis Society (RCS)

If you are a survivor of sexual or gender-based violence, you can contact RCS at 627-7273. Counselling is offered in both English and Spanish to any person with particular emphasis on SGBV. Counselling sessions are free and confidential. The Rape Crisis Society is an NGO created in 1984, dedicated to providing SGBV survivors with a safe space and a voice.

Trinidad and Tobago Coalition Against Domestic Violence

If you are a GBV survivor and are in need of pro-bono legal services, safe housing or free counselling, you can reach out to the Trinidad and Tobago Coalition Against Domestic Violence at 624-0402 for their North office or 657-5355 for their South Office. You can also call their hotline at 627-7273. The Trinidad and Tobago Coalition Against Domestic Violence includes various organisations and individuals that advocate policies that promote protection against and preventive measures against domestic violence. They offer several services including legal advice and counselling for survivors of GBV.

Families in Action

Families in Action, through a partnership with USAID and Democracy International, offers psychosocial support through a hotline. You can call 628-8422 or whatsapp call/message 365- 4858 to access their services. While initially Families in Action was established to address alcohol and drug abuse in Trinidad and Tobago, the organisation also provides counselling and interventions on a variety of issues. You can visit their website for more information.

Groots Trinidad and Tobago

Groots Trinidad and Tobago, is an NGO that offers psychosocial support and counselling on a variety of issues such as GBV survivors, transitional housing and on mental health issues. They are focused on rural grassroots women empowerment. If you are in need of their services, they can be contacted at 220-5986 or for more information. To call their hotline, you can dial 230-2307 or 384-4722.

*Services currently not offered in Spanish.


There are two main mobile providers in Trinidad and Tobago: bmobile and Digicel. There are various outlets where you can purchase a bmobile or Digicel sim throughout Trinidad and Tobago. Credit on prepaid sim cards expires 30 days after the date of purchase. Sim cards have an additional 30 days to be replenished after a credit expires to avoid disconnection.

To view store locations across Trinidad and Tobago, please click the following links:

Below has a list of free internet access points in Trinidad and Tobago:


There are currently 9 hospitals located throughout Trinidad and Tobago. There are also several health centres and health facilities located throughout the country offering primary health services to the communities that they serve. You can visit for more information on these health centres and hospitals in your area.

For sexual and reproductive health, you can also visit Family Planning Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT). FPATT promotes the sexual and reproductive rights of individuals and families and Trinidad and Tobago. Their services include Pap smears, HIV tests and counselling on sexual and reproductive health issues. If you are also pregnant, you can FPATT for medical attention. They have four locations in Trinidad throughout Trinidad and Tobago: Port of Spain, San Fernando and Tobago. You can make an appointment at 292-3411 or to make an appointment or you walk-in. You can also visit for more information.